Thursday, January 15, 2009

Covering up...

Today My daughter, my mother, and myself were out shopping when my daughter decides that she is hungry, without thinking I simply ask "what are you hungry for"? After milling this question over in her mind for a while she comes up with an answer, 5 mins later, in the form of Taco's.
 Hmmmm not exactly healthy, and I have been trying to be good and considered everything entering my body as well as hers. Taco Bell is in no way healthy! There isn't even that factor that you can make up at Mcdonalds and say  "well at least it's chicken" There is nothing! So I made the suggestion of going to the local piggly wiggly and making up a salad off of their salad bar. Natasha loves salads so this idea was great for the both of us. So I pull into the parking lot and proceed to make the salads, Spinach, mixed greens, tomatoes, carrots, so on and so forth. What I neglected to do was put salad dressing on the salads because I am thinking we have some at home. 
Ahhhh no. Forgot my mom had used the dressing to marainate chicken a few days prior so I am sitting on a salad with no dressing. 
"Why not use mayo?" My mother suggests. At first this sounds like a good plan, but then I got to thinking why not try the salad, "gasp" with NO dressing at all.
Amazingly the world did not come to a end. No it actually was really good. I was actually able to taste all of the many flavors in the salad, the sweetness of the spinach, the slight tartness of the tomatoes, the crispness of the cucumbers, instead of the "dressing." 
It got my mind mulling over the fact that we cover a lot of our foods with unnecessary calories and flavors. Why do we cover potatoes in sour cream and butter? Why do we have to use steak sauce on a steak? Why don't we just enjoy the flavors of the food that we are choosing to eat?Although my mom freely admits she sometimes chooses the foods she does, just to enjoy the covering sauces. 
 So that is going to be my goal for the next two weeks. I am not going to cover flavors.. even when my cooking (bad as it can be) really needs it! If I choose to eat chicken I will not eat BBQ sauce! I will eat fish with no tartar sauce. And I will let you know what you are missing. 

2 comments:

Barb Jacobucci said...

ooohh. I don't know if I can eat my food naked! Let me know how it goes. If it works for you, you just might be able to inspire me to at least think about it!

Zandria said...

Most sauces definitely have a lot of calories, so it's a good idea to keep a better eye on that. Good thing you didn't use mayo! Tons of unnecessary calories in that.